What is Beneficial Ownership:
EU’s Fourth Anti-Money Laundering Directive requires all EU Member States to put into national law provisions requiring corporate and legal entities to obtain and hold adequate, accurate and current information on their beneficial owner(s) in their own internal beneficial ownership register.
What is a Beneficial Owner?
A beneficial owner is a person who owns or controls a legal entity through direct or indirect ownership. A shareholding of 25 percent plus one share or ownership interest of more than 25 percent held by a natural person will be classed as direct ownership.
Information required for filling to the RBO:
As of 22nd June, 2019 filing of beneficial ownership details with the central register will be done only by entering the required information for each beneficial owner through an online portal. It will not be possible to file on paper, post or email.
Information Required –
- Forename and surname
- Date of birth
- PPS number
- Home Address
- A statement of the nature of interest held by each beneficial owner (for example controlling shareholders)
- A person with 25 percent + 1 or more shares in the company.
- The date of cessation as a beneficial owner
- The name of the person filing the entry into the RBO on behalf of the company.
The public will have access to this register but won’t be able to see anyone’s PPS numbers, only the following will have access to ALL information:
- A member of An Garda Siochána.
- A member of the Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU) Ireland.
- An Officer of the Revenue Commissioners.
- An Officer of the Criminal Assets Bureau (CAB).
- A member or member of staff of the Central Bank of Ireland.
- An Officer of the Minister for Justice & Equality.
- A member of the Property Services Regulatory Authority (PSRA).
- A member or member of staff of the Law Society of Ireland.
- A member or member of staff of the General Council of the bar of Ireland.
- A member or member of the staff of the Designated accountancy body.
- An inspector appointed by the Director of Corporate Enforcement under section 764(1) of the Companies Act 2014.
For more information and assistance on this please email: